February 8, 2011

presentation time!

For most introverted English majors, class presentations spell disaster. For grad students it's a reality that one can't avoid. Right now, I'm in the thick of a dense presentation schedule and there's no end in sight.

Released last year, Lower Dens' excellent Twin Hand Movement takes its cue from Yo La Tengo and puts the introvert on display. The reason I picked this particular performance has to do with singer/songwriter Jana Hunter's bangs, which, like the expressionless restraint of the band, foreground the (seeming) absurdity of this exhibition: no eye contact! In this way, "I Get Nervous" is the musical equivalent of my presentation approach, only more laid back and without all the false starts.

1 comment:

  1. Bless your soul!
    I am currently in disaster mode because I have to give a presentation tonight, and while it's not at Grad level, and I'm not an introverted English major, it was still nice to hear that I'm not alone in my stress. And, I quite enjoyed that song.
    Good luck with your presentations!

    ReplyDelete