March 22, 2009

Tonight, after a 2-hour set, I talked with Will Oldham (a.k.a. Bonnie "Prince" Billy) and without warning, he turned the questions on me. Being interviewed is discomforting enough already. The fact that it's one of the most important American folk-singers of the last 15 years or so only makes it that much weirder. For some reason, I mentioned that I was a Mennonite and he asked me what that meant in my life. Hmmm. Pacifism, adult baptism, the Ban, umm...a pragmatic ecclesiology...simple living...beards? I tried to qualify it a bit - historically, that is. I thought he might recognize the Amish, which led me right into an explanation of the emergence of Anabaptism and the Protestant Reformation. Enough, I thought. But then my friend Adam mentioned Mennofolk and I was praying for a way out.

He was with a full band tonight and, to be honest, it was a little much at times. The set was incredibly long and ended with a three-song encore. Still, the man doesn't come around very often. He was just making up for lost time.

No comments:

Post a Comment